Worship God, led by the Holy Spirit, living holy according to His Word, the truth. That is the type of worship that pleases Him!
STM Bible Snack
God is Spirit, and those who worship God must be led by the Spirit to worship him according to the truth. John 4:24 (CEV)
Key points about worship
- Three key points to consider:
1. We needed help
- a. We must have the Holy Spirit to understand spiritual things, including how to worship and serve God [1 Corinthians 2:13-14].
- b. “When the Spirit of truth [the Helper/Holy Spirit] comes, he will lead [guide] you into all truth” [John 16:13].
- c. “The Spirit teaches us everything we need to know” [John 14:26 read John 14:25-31 (26); 1 John 2:27].
- d. “Let the Holy Spirit guide and help you when you pray” [Jude 1:20].
2. Worship any time or place
It is not about when (which day or what time) or where we worship [read John 4:1-26 (20-21 and 23-24)]. In fact, it is more than using our words of praise and giving thanks. Actually, it is about the way we live. “Be holy in all that you do, just as God is holy” [from 1 Peter 1:15 (ICB)].
- a. The Children of Israel were given very detailed instructions on where, when, and how to worship [Leviticus 1:1-7]. For example, Solomon (and no one else) was chosen by God to build the temple in Jerusalem [1 Chronicles 28:1-29:20 (6)].
- b. You/we are God’s temple [1 Corinthians 3:16]. He is ALWAYS with you. That means you do not have to go to a building or place to meet Him. So, you can worship Him anywhere.
- c. He does not require that we [born-again believers] observe Jewish holy days, including the Sabbath [Colossians 2:11-22 (16)]. Paul was concerned that saints in Galatia were still observing Jewish laws and traditions [Galatians 4:8-11] and not accepting their freedom in Christ.
- So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink [Romans 14:1-4; 1 Timothy 4:3] or for not celebrating certain [Jewish] holy days [festivals] or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. Colossians 2:16 (NLT)
Failure to help people in need was one of the reasons God destroyed Sodom [Ezekiel 16:48-50].
- a. Jesus said, in Luke 6:30, “Give to any person who asks you for something“.
- b. John, in 1 John 3:17, lets us know that helping needy believers is a way of showing the love of God [read 1 John 3:13-18 (17)].
- c. Hebrews 13:1-17 gives us tips on how to perform service/worship that pleases God.
This too is like offering a sacrifice (in worship) that pleases God.
Hebrews 13:16 (CEV)
Worship That Pleases Him
You might think you are a very religious person [a Christian]. But if your tongue is out of control [using vulgar language; saying hurtful things, etc.], you are fooling yourself. Your careless talk makes your offerings to God worthless.
27 The worship [religion] that God wants is this:
- caring for orphans or widows who need help
- and keeping yourself free from the world’s evil influence.
This is the kind of worship [religion] that God accepts as pure and good. James 1:26-27 (ERV) [read James 1:19-27 (26-27)]
I pray that you enjoyed this Bible snack. Remember to Worship God in Spirit and in truth, that pleases Him! Blessings to you and your loved ones—♥ Tim. ☺
Related docs for further Spiritual growth:
See what is available on the Sound Truth Ministry website.