You might find it hard to believe that God killed people for murmuring! But it is true. Of course, that was before Christ brought us grace. Join me for a quick 4-minute snack and I will give you the details.
Created: Tuesday, October 11, 2022
STM Bible Snack
Do everything without murmuringG1112 or questioning [the providence of God], Philippians 2:14 (AMP)
- G1112 goggusmos murmuring
- G1112 γογγυσμός goggusmos (ğon-gïz-mos’) n. a grumbling — grudging, murmuring. [from G1111] KJV: grudging, murmuring
- Murmuring defined
- To mutter; to complain; to utter sullen (gloomy) discontent; a half-suppressed or muttered complaint; grumbling; an indistinct complaint.
Murmuring; 3 Valuable Examples, People Murmured, God Killed Them!
By the time you finish this, you’ll be very grateful for God’s grace. As you’ll see, God has not always delayed judgment and punishment.
1. Buried alive
- Korah, Dathan, and Abiram’s murmurings and uprisings were in the end met with harsh punishment. In other words, the ground split apart and swallowed them.
- Numbers 16:31-32 (FBV) [read Numbers 16:1-40 (31-32)]
- Immediately after Moses had finished saying all this, the ground under the rebels split apart, 32 and the earth opened up and swallowed them and their households down, as well as everyone who was there with Korah and everything that belonged to them.
2. The brazen snakes
- Instead of turning to God, the people complain about him and Moses (Numbers 21:5). The Israelites were once more punished for their grumbling. This time, a large number of them were murdered by the fiery serpents that God sent among them.
- Numbers 21:5-6 (TLB) [read Numbers 21:4-9 (5-6)]
- They began to murmur against God and to complain against Moses. “Why have you brought us out of Egypt to die here in the wilderness?” they whined. “There is nothing to eat here and nothing to drink, and we hate this insipid manna.”
6 So the Lord sent poisonous snakes among them to punish them, and many of them were bitten and died.
3. They did not get to enter the promised land
- For the last example, the Israelites murmured once more after the spies’ return from their review of the promised land. God punished them by denying them the pleasure of ever seeing that land. Thus, they died in the desert.
- Numbers 14:2 (WEB) and 23 (ICB) [read Numbers 14:1-25 (2 and 23)]
- All the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron. The whole congregation said to them, “We wish that we had died in the land of Egypt, or that we had died in this wilderness! 23 So not one will see the land I promised to their ancestors. No one who angered me will see that land [i.e., they will not enter the promised land].
We must learn how to carry out all tasks without murmuring. In addition, we must not complain about the fact that we must do them. For this sin, God poured out His anger on the Israelites; let’s not make the same mistakes they did!
I pray that you have enjoyed this Bible snack. Blessings to you and your loved ones—♥ Tim. ☺
Related studies/lessons/snacks for further Spiritual growth:
See what is available on the Sound Truth Ministry website.