Solomon’s wisdom was a gift from God. But was he “The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived” as some believe? Let’s find the truth about Solomon’s wisdom.
The Truth About Solomon’s Wisdom: He Isn’t The Wisest
STM Bible Snack
- 1 Kings 4:31 [read 1 Kings 4:20-34 (31)]
- Solomon was wiser than anyone else. He was wiser than Ethan, the Ezrahite. He was wiser than Heman, Kalkol and Darda. They were the sons of Mahol. Solomon became famous in all the nations around him. (NIRV)
- KJV: For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.
- The Bible Knowledge Commentary: The point is that many important visitors from faraway places visited Solomon who received them openly at his court. He was recognized as the wisest man of his day as God had promised he would be.
He isn’t the wisest man, but…
- Common sense would tell us he isn’t the wisest man who ever lived. First of all, that would mean he is wiser than Jesus. But he did get his wisdom from God!
- 2 Chronicles 1:11-12 [read 2 Chronicles 1:1-12 (12)]
- God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— 12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!” (NLT)
- KJV: And God said to Solomon, Because this was in thine heart, and thou hast not asked riches, wealth, or honour, nor the life of thine enemies, neither yet hast asked long life; but hast asked wisdom and knowledge for thyself, that thou mayest judge my people, over whom I have made thee king: 12 Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.
Solomon’s wisdom, not wiser than Jesus
- If Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived, that would make him wiser than Jesus. Then he is wiser than God. Of course, you must believe Jesus is God [see Is Jesus God? This Is What You Should Know!].
- Matthew 1:23 [read Matthew 1:18-25 (23)]
- The prophet said, `A young woman who has not slept with a man is going to have a baby son. His name will be Emmanuel. That means “God is with us.” ‘ (WE)
- KJV: Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
- Isaiah 7:14 [read Isaiah 7:10-25 (14)]
- Therefore Adonai himself will give you people a sign: the young woman* will become pregnant, bear a son, and name him ‘Immanu El [God is with us]. (CJB)
- KJV: Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
So no, Solomon was/is NOT the wisest man who ever lived, but his wisdom was a gift from God. I pray that you have enjoyed and will make the most of this Bible snack. Blessings to you and your loved ones—♥ Tim. ☺
Related studies/lessons/snacks for further spiritual growth:
See what is available on the Sound Truth Ministry website.
I look forward to your feedback via comment at the bottom of the page or by emailing email@example.com. Have a fantabulous day!