Read this to get the truth about El Shaddai. It does NOT mean “more than enough.” In fact, false teachers use this to justify their greed and lavish lifestyles.
The Truth About El Shaddai: Lie, “More Than Enough”
STM Bible Snack
The term “El Shaddai” is not in the KJV or any of the 8 revisions: AKJV, KJ2000, KJC, MKJV, MSTC, NKJV, RKJNT, and UKJV. But is in the CJB 7 times: Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11, 43:14, 48:3, 49:25, and Exodus 6:3. 35 times in the OJB.
The lie: El Shaddai means “more than enough”
I searched many sources, including these, but did not find any that supported the claim. So El Shaddai does not mean “more than enough.” El Shaddai means God Almighty! El=God and some agree Shaddai=Almighty (but it is uncertain).
Jewish Virtual Library and Judaism 101
God is also known as El Shaddai. This Name is usually translated as “God Almighty,” however, the derivation of the word “Shaddai” is not known.
- According to some views, it is derived from the root meaning “to heap benefits.”
- According to a Midrash, it means, “The One who said ‘dai‘” (“dai” meaning enough or sufficient) and comes from the fact that when God created the universe, it expanded until He said “DAI!” (perhaps the first recorded theory of an expanding universe?).
- The name Shaddai is the one written on the mezuzah scroll. Some note that Shaddai is an acronym of Shomer Daltot Yisrael, Guardian of the Doors of Israel.
So from this explanation, the terms ‘enough’ and ‘sufficient’ would mean STOP, meaning stop expanding or expand no more.
In Ex. vi. 2 (my note: actually Exodus 6:3) Yhwh is identified with El-Shaddai, the god of the Patriarchs. What the latter name (Shaddai) means is still in doubt (see Nöldeke in “Z. D. M. G.” 1886, p. 735; 1888, p. 480).
Hebrew definition for Shaddai
H7706 שַׁדַּי Shadday (shad-dah’-ee) n-m. Mickelson’s Enhanced Strong’s Dictionaries of the Hebrew Testaments – the Almighty.
- Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance – Almighty.
- Brown-Driver-Briggs – Shaddai, the Almighty (of God).
- Ancient Hebrew Lexicon Definitions – fm) ids (סהדי ShDY) – Breast: KJV (48): almighty – Strongs: H7706 (שַׁדַּי).
- Gesenius’ Hebrew and Chaldee Definition – שַׁדַּי m., most powerful, Almighty, an epith. of Jehovah; sometimes with אֵל prefixed.
- King James Bible Online – Shadday: field, land; Meaning: the Almighty.
El Shaddai = God Almighty
Always confirm that what the preacher says is in line with what the Bible says! So the truth about El Shaddai is it does NOT mean “more than enough.” I pray that you have enjoyed and will make the most of this Bible snack. Blessings to you and your loved ones—♥ Tim. ☺
Related studies/lessons/snacks for further spiritual growth:
See what is available on the Sound Truth Ministry website.
I look forward to your feedback via comment at the bottom of the page or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Have a fantabulous day!