cooking oil spray

Warning: 3 Startling Reasons to Stop Using Cooking Oil Spray

Revised and reposted: April 20, 2021; formerly posted on TandTPettiford.com and blogger March 25, 2013, I’m the original poster.

Several years back, when spring was starting early in Southern California, I became aware of a wasp invasion. They hung out at our front door and our balcony. A few weeks later, I ran out of pesticides. Without thinking, I reached for a generic Vegetable Oil Spray that was in one of the kitchen cabinets.

This spray was no longer preventing my waffles from sticking to the waffle maker. So I thought I would find another use for it rather than to throw it away.

I began to spray the wasps through the kitchen screen-protected window thinking it would at least chase them away. A few days later, I noticed they were building a hive on the ceiling immediately in front of my door. Also in approximately the same location in front of my neighbor’s door. So again, I grabbed this spray and amply coated each of the little hives.  I noticed the following days that my uninvited friends were no longer going near their unfinished hives.

March 24, 2013

cooking oil spray - wasp hive
Unfinished wasp hive

Let’s fast-forward to the reason I am troubling you with this information, Sunday, March 24, 2013. I decided to sweep and remove the debris from our balcony. When I swept the southeast corner I noticed a few of my uninvited friends flew from beneath the wood railing. Apparently, they were busy building a hive that would be out of view. I quickly went to the kitchen and reached for my newly found “repellent/cooking oil spray”. Thoroughly sprayed the area, replaced the top, and continued to sweep the deck.

Reason #1: dead in >30 seconds

Eventually, I noticed a wasp resting on a limb of one of the plants in the southwest corner. Fortunately, the cooking oil spray was close by so I was able to give the little critter a good coating. To my surprise, this “cooking oil spray” killed the wasp in less than 30 seconds. Yes, I repeat, the “cooking oil spray” killed the wasp in less than 30 seconds.

cooking oil sprayMy first thought was to call my wife to the balcony to let her know what had just occurred. Afterward, the logical part of me kicked in. Thinking to myself “it must have smothered the little thing, but less than 30 seconds…”. No, that could not be it; I had to get a little better insight.

So I looked at the ingredients on the “cooking oil spray” label. I was struck by the fact that there is no nutritional value to this food product.

Reason #2: Cooking oil spray 0% nutrition

All ingredients contributed 0% nutrition. Oh but there is more, the manufacturers did not stop there. They wanted to inform us that it also contained 0% of vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, and folic acid. This product though made out of soybean oil contained no nutrients.

The label should have been a clue or a red flag, but we didn’t bother reading it. Even with this discovery, I was more interested in what it did contain.

The Ingredients

The primary “cooking oil spray” ingredient is soybean oil, the second item listed was soybean lecithin, hmmm, I figured this one was worth looking into. So I Googled “soybean lecithin” and the 1st article I read provided the following information:

Soybean lecithin comes from sludge left after crude soy oil goes through a “degumming” process. It is a waste product containing solvents and PESTICIDES and has a consistency ranging from a gummy fluid to a plastic solid…” read full article

Reason #3: Solvents and PESTICIDES?

Yes, “solvents and PESTICIDES”, in the “cooking oil spray”, in case you may have missed it. I am blogging about “cooking oil spray”! Yummy, solvents and pesticides, just the thing that is so-o-o desired as a condiment. Or that special added touch to compliment my meal. I shudder to think I was generously covering my waffle maker each day. My goal was to make HEALTHY choices. Not to mention, the care I have taken in altering what I ate in an effort to be healthy.

Now it makes sense, I spray the wasp with this pesticide disguised as Cooking Oil Spray and the wasp dies in less than 30 seconds. I can’t help but wonder how long it would take for this product to ultimately cause a similar effect on me. I will NO longer use cooking sprays. Most of all I will make sure that I:

  1. read the labels.
  2. use the internet to check the ingredients I do not know.

Cooking oil spray and Hexane

Further research revealed that one of the products, hexane, is/has been traditionally used to extract oils from vegetables and seeds. BUT (commercial grade) hexane is also used in glues, cleaning and degreasing products, and textile manufacturing. I suggest doing a little research on this if you can stomach discovering all there is to know about this product and its uses.cooking oil spray

I also happened to find that a 100% Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil Spray’s 2nd ingredient is “soybean lecithin”. It also contains 0% nutritional value. We had the receipt for this product and returned it.

Dead in 27 seconds

UPDATE: March 25, 2013, to prove it was not a fluke. I used the 100% Extra Virgin Italian Olive Oil Spray on a wasp. I wanted to make sure it was not only the generic brand that can be used as a PESTICIDE. This time the wasp died in 27 seconds.

According to the labels on the cans, the ONLY ingredient these two products have in common isSOY LECITHIN“. You are free to come to whatever conclusion you desire. However, please be careful and stay informed about what you use when cooking and preparing your food. Be blessed my friends, and live in health!

A good article to read 5 Reasons Not to use Commercial Cooking Sprays

1st update: May 7, 2013

Today I used a name brand Flying Insect spray to kill a fly. To my surprise, after saturating the fly with this spray, it took approximately 90 seconds for the fly to stop moving. Let’s recap:

  1. it took the cooking oil sprays 27-30 seconds to kill a wasp.
  2. the Flying Insect spray killed a fly in approximately 90 seconds.

I know you may not want to believe these results. So, I encourage you to test it. Use your butter spray or any cooking oil spray. So far I have found they all contain “Soy Lecithin”. Compare it with an insecticide of your choice and please let us know the results. Remember, 90 seconds vs 27-30 seconds, cooking oil spray is the better insecticide (pesticide; LOL).

See what is available on the Sound Truth Ministry website.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.